What is a digraph?
A digraph is a group of two successive letters whose phonetic value is a single sound.
Here you have some general ideas to teach a digraph with your children:
- Name as many things that begins with.... (use the digraph you are teaching or reviewing)
- Say a word that rhymes with....
- Does ......sound like ........?
- Where is the sound.....in this word?
- List words that ends with ....
- Go on a .....sound hunt .
- Can you name an animal that begins/ ends with .....?
- Can you draw a fruit that begins / ends with ....?
- Play "I spy a word that begins with..."
- Make riddles using the blend you want to introduce or practise.
- Write silly sentences beginning with that digraph.